One of the delicious traditional dishes from Najd region is called “Margoog”. Its ingredients considered a healthy and wholesome food as it contains dietary fiber, which is in wheat as well as a large amount of vitamins in added vegetables.
Although most Saudi traditional dishes come with rice and Arabic bread, wheat has been used in various dish, for instance in Margoog they use the flour which is the grain of wheat.
If you are interested in Margoog here you can easily find its tasty recipe:
- 2 glasses of wheat flour
- 1 K lamb meat
- Vegetables such as zucchini, pumpkin, eggplant, carrots and beans.(vegetables should be cut in large pieces)
- 2 pieces of onions
- 2 tomatoes sauce
- 1 table spoon tomato paste
- Black lemon
- Green hot pepper
- Spices (it is preferable to use different kind of spices) such as cinnamon, cumin, coriander, black lemon and black pepper.
1. You prepare the dough by adding water and salt to the wheat flour you can use either your hand or the heavy duty electric mixture until it is smooth and elastic as shown in image.
2. Form round balls of dough.
3. Add in a pot a little oil, onion and garlic saute until soft and transparent.
4. Add meat and turn over on both sides.
5. Add tomatoes sauce, tomato paste, spices and salt.
6. Add water until it covers the mixture.
7. Add the vegetables.
8. If the sauce has been boiled you add the black lemon and cinnamon.
9. Spread a ball of dough using a roller ( experienced Margoog cooker use their hand )
11. Add the green pepper on the top so it gives a nice flavor.
12. Cover the pot and bring to low heat for one hour and a half.
13. Pure the Margoog in a big plate and enjoy eating.:)